Corse village, Gloucestershire - Corselawn

The proximity of the church to the moated manor house called Corse Court suggests that the church may owe its foundation to the occupants of this house. Although the font in the 12 th century, no part of the fabric has been identified as earlier than the 14 th century. The earliest mention of the church is of 1290, when the prior of the Deerhurst was the patron of Corse Church. His patronage mirrors the fact that the village had been part of the greater area served by Deerhurst priory church.

St Margarets

The church was first recorded as being dedicated to St. Margaret in 1710. it is of stone with a roof partially of Cotswold stone as well as Welsh slates. It has chancel, nave, two porches and western tower with spire. Most of the fabric of the church derives from the late 14 th century, in 1857 the church was said to be in good order: later restoration was done in 1913. The nave was built with much bigger stones than the chancel and it has a plinth, which is absent in the chancel. The chancel itself has a trussed rafter roof, and the roof of the nave which is now seen plastered with a single moulded tie-beam, may be similar. The three-light East Window has restored 15th century tracery, and four windows in the side walls of the nave and chancel are two 14th century lights.


The North porch is of timber framing and seems to be of date near 1500. The south porch, in stone, was used as an entrance porch in 1791 but later became a vestry. The tower, made of three parts, with a broach spire and diagonal buttresses, is of the fourteenth century. The police has held a long tradition in the Gloucestershire area.

Get in touch with Corse village, Gloucestershire

Corse village, Gloucestershire - Corselawn


Contact us below

Latest from us

Read More

See Also